|Title||Towns: Brandon: General|
|Dates of Creation||1784-1810|
|Scope & Content||Deed from tax sale and sale of an orignal grant of Brandon, Vermont. Tavern keepers permits for 1808-1810. Also, a 1824 subscription list for a singing school.|
|Administrative/Biographical History||The regulation of taverns was authorized in 1779 when Vermont was a republic. Magistrates, selectmen, constables, and grand jurymen were to meet in March to nominate the person or persons suitable “to keep an house or houses of public entertainment” in the coming year. The nominations were then submitted to the county court for licensing or refusal of a license based on the number of nominees and evidence the nominee was fit to hold a license. The law also required that “tavern haunters” be identified and their names posted at the door to every tavern in town. “Tippling houses” were prohibited with fines and public whipping permitted for offenders. In 1787 fees were allowed for tavern licenses. In 1798 changes to the law allowed fees based on profits, required taverns and inns to have on hand “suitable refreshments, provisions and accommodations for travelers, their cattle and horses.” It also required the posting of suitable identifying signs.|
Hodges, Silas H.
Mott, John Jr.
|Credit line||Bequest of Hall Park McCullough|